- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium tomato, red
- 2 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 4 leaves basil, fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 medium plum
- Slice the garlic, mozzarella, tomatoes, peppers and basil; set aside separately. Rub one side of each slice of bread with a cut side of garlic and brush with oil. On the other side of 4 slices, layer the cheese, tomatoes and peppers; assemble sandwiches with oiled sides facing out.
- Place 2 sandwiches in a large pan over medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 6 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted, turning sandwiches once. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Tuck a few slices of basil into each sandwich. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Serve with any remaining peppers and sliced plums.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie