Calzone Countdown with Pear Salsa
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, red
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 1/2 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 medium pear
- 2 medium orange
- 2 medium kiwi
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, sugar and 1 cup warm water; let set for 5 minutes; it will begin to look frothy.
- In a medium bowl mix 1 teaspoon salt, olive oil, and flours. Add in yeast mixture and stir to combine well; hands may need to be used as this time. Let dough rise, covered, in a warm place for about 30-45 minutes.
- Toss veggies into a food processor and chop finely; mix in shredded cheese, remaining salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Roll out a small portion of the dough at a time, for mini calzones we use a golf ball size. Roll or press out. Fill middle with a thin layer marinara sauce and a scoop of veggies. Fold calzone in half and then crimp edges with a fork. Set on baking tray.
- Whisk 1 egg white in a small bowl. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the calzone with egg white.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned. Test to make sure dough is done baking by tapping on it. It should sound hollow.
- Let cool slightly and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Chop pears, oranges, and kiwi into small pieces. Mix together and serve in small bowls.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie