- 4 medium russet potato
- 3 medium carrot
- 3 medium beet
- 1/2 medium head cabbage
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 can diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 slices bread, Italian
- 4 tablespoon light sour cream
- 1 sprigs dill
- Begin by prepping your vegetables: peel and chop potatoes, carrots and beets; shred cabbage, chop onion. Set beets aside separately.
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat; add potatoes, carrots, cabbage and onion; sauté until cabbage softens.
- Next, add beets, broth, can of tomatoes (undrained), lemon juice, salt and pepper; cook down until soft enough to blend into a pureed soup. (If desired, some soup may be left chunky to offer more texture).
- May be served with whole grain Italian bread, sour cream and dill if desired.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie