First, why more beans?
- Beans are healthy! In fact, Joel Fuhrman recommends a full cup of beans PER DAY!
- Beans are cheap! Food is not cheap, but dry beans can help you get control over your food budget.
- Beans last a very long time! Besides having 50lbs of oats, we probably have 150 lbs of different dried beans.
So, Tip #1 Add them to baked goods
Are you still substituting applesauce for the fat in your baked goods? I think bean puree turns out a better result.
The Journal of the ADA reports when pureed cannellini beans were substituted for shortening in Brownies for 25% and 50% of the fat, no difference was detected. (You can read the abstract here) “Yielding an acceptable and more nutritious product”.
So, while this practice is best when you replace 50% of the fat in cake like baked goods, we replaced 75% of the fat in a cookie (because I love cookies!). They also turned out pretty good. They were eaten at least. 🙂
First, I used
- 1 can of white beans (I used Great Northern Beans).
- Placed them in a food processor (remember, mine is just a $25 Cusinart from Costco)
- Blended until smooth (I did not add any water). It turned out the consistency of shortening
White Bean Chocolate Chip Cookies
- · ¾ Cup Pureed White beans
- 1/4 cup butter
- · 1 Cup brown sugar
- · 1 Cup white sugar
- · 2 Eggs
- · 1 tsp vanilla
- · 1 cup whole wheat flour
- · 1 ¼ cup White flour
- · 1 TBL baking soda
- · 1 tsp baking powder
- · 2 ½ cup Ground oat flour (put regular oats in blender or food processor until the consistency of flour)
- · Chocolate chips
Mix pureed beans, butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly. Mix dry ingredients together. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix softly with wooden spoon just until all flour is mixed in.
Drop by TBL onto cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 6 minutes.
Makes 3 Dozen cookies
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie