- 1 none cooking spray
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large egg
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 medium apple
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, the pecans, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, remaining cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining sugar with the oil until combined. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition; then, whisk in the applesauce and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk and stirring after each addition just until combined.
- Core, peel, and dice 1 apple; gently fold into batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the pecan mixture. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Cool completely before serving. Serve with remaining apples on the side.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 247mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g