Oatmeal is a healthy, whole grain that kids should be eating! There are so many different ways to flavor it that if your kids reject it cooked one way, there is always another! You should at least try to serve it because oatmeal:
- Has Fiber! Kids ages 3-10 need 8-15 grams of fiber per day. Oatmeal has 3 grams per half a cup.
- Enhances immunity (keeping those kids healthy this winter)
- Lowers risk for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and even type 2 diabetes.
So, you know it’s great.. how do you get your kids to eat it? Throughout years of experimenting, I’ve noticed a few things that I’ve turned into our top strategies.
TEXTURE: My kids like their oatmeal UNDER-cooked! The more you cook it, the mushier it is. We use Quick oats, in the microwave, rather than rolled oats on the stovetop so its less mushy. Try both ways to see which way your kids prefer. Take turns between oat groats, rolled oats, quick oats, and instant oats.
FLAVOR: This is where you could try oatmeal a million ways until you find one your kids will ask for every morning. There is always the industry standard, brown sugar. But there is also, chocolate and peanut butter, apples and cinnamon, peaches and cream, key lime pie, coconut berry, pumpkin, and anything else you can think up!
TEMPERATURE: Is your oatmeal too hot or too cold? Take a tip from Goldilocks to make sure it’s “just right”.
APPEARANCE: You may think oatmeal all looks the same, but you can dress it up to look more appetizing! Sprinkle fresh fruit on top, chocolate chips, drizzle honey, or serve in their favorite dish. For special occasions, check out our Rainbow oatmeal
Try our Peaches and Cream Oatmeal to get your family started eating oatmeal today!
|Peaches and Cream Oatmeal||
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped peaches
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional
- Place oats, milk, cinnamon, and peaches in a large, microwave safe bowl. Cook for 1 minute and take out to stir. Cook for one more minute. Garnish with extra peaches, drizzle of honey, and sprinkle with cinnamon