Children ages 4-8 years old need 10mg of iron per day. For kids, our top three favorite sources are:
- Spinach! With 6.4 mg per 1 cup (cooked)
- Lentils have 6.6 mg per 1 cup
- Pumpkin seeds have 5.2 mg per 1/4 cup.
If your kids aren’t hip on adding spinach to smoothies yet, maybe try this Green Pasta instead! Made with spinach and walnuts, this Green Goblin Pesto Pasta, might just hit the spot.
For the Pesto, we only used four ingredients:
Spinach Pesto Recipe
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup walnuts
Blend together in a food processor. Then add:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste.
Blend again in the food processor.
Then, it’s easy to top some warm pasta!
This spinach pesto pasta can be part of a balanced meal, with double the veggies! Check out our plates here for getting your kids to eat more balanced meals!