Hooray, Summer is finally here for my kids. All year long I had to drag their little bum’s out of bed at 7am to get ready for school. Finally they can sleep in. Yipee! Yeah, whatever. My kids had no such plans. 5:45AM! I’m not exagerating! They were up at 5:45AM. It’s Saturday, AND its’s summer! Come on kids, when are you going to start valuing the sleep-in days. When are you going to be those kids that sleep till 11:00am every day. I won’t complain, I promise.
Kids need sleep. Between ages 5-12 they need 10-11 hours per night. When my kids don’t get enough sleep, they are moody, sensitive, cranky, argumentative etc. But they have always been good sleepers. In fact, I used to tell people “My kids have always slept through the night… since they were 3 months old!” Till one day I told someone that, and my husband said, “They don’t sleep through the night, you just don’t wake up when they do.” I sleep so soundly at night, I don’t even wake up when our kids do. We had them in a basket in our room until they were three months, which is why I DID wake up when they did, and as soon as they went to their own rooms, I slept straight through their midnight waking. I’m guessing they just started sleeping through the night, cause no one was there to answer their cries. Part of me feels like a bad parent, but part of me is glad they are such good sleepers now.
So, as a result, I can offer no advice on getting your child to sleep better, except advice I’ve heard from other people.
- Follow a bedtime routine.
- Wind down by listening to wonderful lullaby music.
- Go to sleep at the same time every night.
- Limit caffeine in the afternoon and before bed.
- Do not allow the bedroom to be a place for television.
- As we spoke about Thursday, if they need a bedtime snack, let it be a small amount of complex carbs.
- Keep them really active during the day, so they will be wiped out at bedtime. (This is what we do)