Spaghetti Squash Bake
Every year in my garden I grow several kinds of squash. I always grow zucchini, yellow squash, butternut and banana squash. This year I decided to switch it up a bit and instead of butternut and banana squash I grew spaghetti squash and pumpkins. This dish is cheesy and delicious, but includes 3 different veggies! It can stand alone as a main dish, or you could serve it as a side.
Spaghetti squash is incredibly easy to cook. All you do is cut it in half, and then you can either bake it in the oven or microwave it! If you choose to bake it, place in a baking dish and bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes. If you choose to microwave it, place on a plate and cover in plastic wrap. Microwave for about 5-7 minutes.
Once your squash is cooked, scrape it into a baking dish.
Next thing for this delicious dish is to roast broccoli. If you haven't ever roasted broccoli, you can learn how here.
Once your broccoli is roasted, combine it with the squash.
The next thing is to make your cheese sauce. Once that is finished, pour over the broccoli and squash and then bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash Bake
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Bake or microwave squash until tender. Scoop the strands of squash with a fork and place in a baking dish. Roast broccoli and place in the baking dish with the squash.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with salt and pepper. Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheddar cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish with the cooked spaghetti squash and broccoli. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.