Power Packed Fruit and Veggie Muffins
SERVES 36 Mini-muffins or 20-24 regular-size muffins
- 1 cup – flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup – flour, all-purpose
- 3/4 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1/2 cup – sugar
- 4 tablespoon – butter, unsalted
- 2 large – egg
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup – broccoli, florets
- 1 medium – zucchini
- 1 1/2 medium – carrot
- 1/2 medium – apple
- 1 medium – banana
- 1/8 cup – apple juice
- 1/4 cup – applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup – yogurt, plain
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Soften butter.
- In a mixer or another bowl, mix the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
- In a food processor, combine steamed broccoli, zucchini, apple, banana, apple juice, and applesauce. Pulse until thoroughly mixed.
- Shred carrots. If you don’t want the shreds in your muffin, combine your carrots with the rest of the fruits and veggies in the food processor.
- Combine the fruit and veggie puree, carrots (unless you already added them with the puree), and yogurt, into the wet ingredient mixture (sugar/butter/eggs) and beat until mixed.
- Finally, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined and wet.
- In a muffin tin, place muffin papers or spray with cooking spray.
- Scoop the mixture into a prepared muffin pan. Fill each spot about 3/4 of the way full.
- For mini muffins: Bake in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes for mini-muffins
- For regular size muffins: Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Bake until the tops are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean or they bounce back when you touch them with your finger.
These freeze great! Put them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
FIND MORE RECIPES AT SUPERHEALTHYKIDS.COM