Many schools across the country are going “Nut Free” to protect the students with nut allergies. For many parents it presents a bit more thoughtfulness in packing school lunch. One thing my kids like to take to school (whether they eat it at lunch, or during breaks) is trail mix. They like the mix of salty and sweet. I like the mix of healthy fats, carbs, and proteins! But to make sure all the kids at school are safe, it’s easy to substitute seeds for our nuts, and I promise, it tastes just as good!
Health Benefits of Seeds!
Seeds, such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp, all contain beneficial nutrients for our kids. Seeds contain:
- Healthy fats- Which is vital to building cell membranes, lubricating joints, and healing skin!
- Protein- Vital for building muscle
- Carbohydrates- SO important for our kids to feed their brains.
- Fiber- Keeps them regular! You know seeds are a good source of fiber the first time you eat too many of them.. lol
- Vitamins and minerals- While all the macronutrients are great, getting our vitamins and minerals from whole food sources like seeds is the best way to get maximum absorption.
Our go-to, nut free trail mix we make the most includes:
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Dried cranberries (sweetened in juice- we find this in the bulk section at our health food store)
- Shredded coconut
- and Freeze dried berries
So, don’t let your kids get out of the door without a bag of trail mix to keep their bodies moving through a long day at school!
Nut Free, Lunch Box Ready, Trail Mix