Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
Triple Flavor Berry Slaw
If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you will know that my children and I adore salads that incorporate fruit! In fact, it's not often we don't add fruit to our salads. Fruit is the gateway to getting more veggies in our diet! This salad with a combination of cabbage and berries, triples the fruit, and I promise, it has triple times the taste!
While berries on their own are a super food, cabbage is also a star in the nutrient department.
- Raw cabbage is shown to have anti-cancer benefits
- Cabbage is high in Vitamin K and C, giving your kids great immune support.
- 1/2 cup of cabbage, even white or light green cabbage, contains 50mg of polyphenols, making it a great source of antioxidants.
- Cabbage calms inflamed digestive tracks, and keeps good bacteria and bad bacteria in balance! (source)
Convinced your kids need some cabbage? This slaw provides a kid friendly vehicle to slide that cabbage down without complaint!
These were the ingredients we used:
And this was the homemade dressing we made for it!
So, this is how our final recipe ended up:
- 1 Bag shredded cabbage
- 1 lb strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate flavored vinegar (or raspberry)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice (or grape or apple)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine cabbage, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries in one big bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredient in a separate bowl.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
- Marinate in the fridge for several hours.
The best part of this recipe is that it's the ultimate in making ahead recipes! Whip it up in the morning, and your cabbage salad will be well marinated by dinner. In fact, the longer it sits, the better it tastes!
*PS. To make the tortilla cups for mini salad cups, I have a DIY here.