Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
Sweet Treat: Honey Bee Buzzer Bars
Do your kids ever complain that there isn't anything good to put in their lunch? When you respond with your verbal list of all the healthy food they are welcome to take to school, you come to understand what they are really saying is, "Why don't we have anything for me to take for dessert!"
I don't blame them. It's hard to eat your carrot sticks, while your friends are inhaling their Oreo's. My solution of course is to make our own portable treats, make them feel like they are having dessert, while packing them full of essential vitamins and minerals!
This snack bar can not be ruined, and is very flexible!! The basis for the dough is egg whites, honey, and oats, and the rest is up to you! Cut them into bite size squares, and send them to lunch. This is the best way for your kids to get a nice balance of fiber (from dried fruit and nuts), protein (from egg whites and nuts), and carbohydrates (from dried fruit, honey, and oats)!
You can just see the nuts and fruit in there:
So our favorite combination is dates and walnuts. Here is our recipe:
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 TBL oil (canola or vegetable oil)
- 1 cup chopped dried dates (or any dried fruit)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour, or white flour and whole wheat flour mixed
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Pour into 8X8, well greased cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.
And, as I said, they are great to pack into lunches!
Honey is a great food to add in moderation to your families diet. Unlike refined sugars, honey
- Has been used for anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-microbial purposes.
- Stabilizes blood sugar rather than causing spikes and quick falls as table sugar does.
- Is full of anti-oxidants and vitamins! This is possibly the most important distinction. While granulated sugar carries no anti-oxidants or vitamins, honey has magnesium, potassium, calcium, and all sorts of vitamin B's.
- Helps soothe raw tissue. You know this if you are a singer. It is throat soothing. You can also put it on cuts to prevent infection and promote healing.
- Can be used as a facial mask (mom's....)
- May help lower cholesterol.