Simple Sweet Snack Mix For Kids
I love to talk about how trail mix is the perfect after school snack, hiking snack, or anytime you are on the go snack. However, some kids just don't like trail mix. Maybe it's the variety of nuts, maybe it's the dried fruit, maybe it's just too unfamiliar. Either way, this snack mix is a healthy alternative for those kids, who need something a little lighter. We like it because:
- It's sweet.
- It's perfect for on the go.
- It's cheaper than trail mix.
- It has familiar snack food kids already like.
- It's easy to make.
Here is our recipe
- 1 Cup whole grain cereal (such as Cheerios)
- 1 Cup popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (If you have trouble finding this, try a grocery store that sells items in bulk)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (shelled)
- 1/2 cup California raisins (or dried cranberries)
- 1 TBL Date sugar (if you don't have date sugar, substitute for brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp. butter buds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon.
Mix cereal, popcorn, coconut, almonds, and seeds. In separate bowl, mix sugar, butter buds, and cinnamon. Spread cereal and nut mix in a single layer in cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar, butter, and cinnamon mix. Bake in oven at 300 for about 15 minutes. Mix the raisins in (after cooking). Let it sit so it gets cool and crispy.
What seasonings have you tried over snack mix? Have you tried apple pie spice, or pumpkin pie spice? That sounds pretty good!