Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns Homemade
In full disclosure, TJ, my son who is now 9 years old, used to eat hot dogs daily! Even without a bun. He loved them! Then I started this blog (he was about 4 years old), and decided to "practice what I preach". I stopped buying hot dogs for him cold turkey. I didn't look back, but he did. He would ask me every single day if he could have a hot dog. I would have the same reply, "we don't have any."
He would say, "can you buy some?"
I would respond with, "no. I don't want to buy hot dogs anymore."
Then the weeping and wailing at the unfairness of his life would commence for a period of time. This probably went on for a year if I remember correctly. Maybe less, but it felt like a year! Fast forward 4 years later to today, and I don't believe he's asked for a hot dog at all. The fact that he was so obsessed with them has been completely forgotten by him! Success! Right?
However, I may have approached it differently today. There are so many ways to offer healthy replacements or substitutes, that many of the tantrums can be avoided! That is what these "mini hot dogs" can do for you.
With leftover chicken from dinner, and homemade, whole wheat buns, your kids can enjoy their favorite lunch, and you can know they are having a balanced, healthy meal.
Our bun recipe is below. Basically, I mix the bread dough:
Go through one period of rising, and then roll it onto a cookie sheet:
Then slice up the dough into chunks. I arrange them quite close together, because I like when the rise and bake together, so we have to peel them apart.
Then we rise one more time and bake!
|Homemade Whole Wheat Hot Dog Buns||
- 3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c. gluten flour
- 1 1/4 TBL instant yeast
- 2 1/2 C steaming hot tap water (120-130 degrees F)
- 1 T. salt
- 1/3 c. oil
- 1/3 c. honey or 1 c. sugar
- 1 1/4 T. bottled lemon juice
- 2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- Mix together first three ingredients in mixer with a dough hook. Add water all at once and mix for 1 minute; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Add salt, oil, honey or sugar, and lemon juice and beat for 1 minute. Add last flour, 1 cup at a time, beating between each cup. Beat for about 6-10 minutes until dough pulls away from sides of the bowl. This makes a very soft dough.
- Pre-heat oven for 1 minute to lukewarm and turn off. Place dough in a greased bowl, and Let rise in warm oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Dump dough out onto a greased cookie sheet, and roll into a large rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into smaller rectangles for hot dog buns.
- Let dough rise on the cookie sheet one more time for about 30 minutes.
- Bake in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
We love making our own buns. It's the best way to ensure you can get 100% whole wheat and no commercial chemicals or artificial ingredients. It's the best thing for our kids!