Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
My little Amelia turned 3 today! Growing up, every year on my birthday my mom would give me breakfast cereal. Not just any breakfast cereal - but my favorite sugary kind. It was the one time per year that we got sugary cereal. I usually chose Captain Crunch - and I actually still like it - probably the nostalgia is what I really like about it. Anyway I have decided to carry on the tradition with my children. So today Amelia was the lucky recipient of a large box of Cookie Crisp.
I was looking at the Nutrition label, because that is just what I do, and I noticed that this particular cereal only has 9g of sugar. Not bad for a cereal that claims it is like having cookies and milk! This reminded me of some information I have read regarding breakfast cereal.
- Beverages: 28%
- Milk and milk products: 23%
- Fruits: 14%
- Candy and sweets: 12%
- Desserts: 8%
- Other grains: 6%
- Cereal: 5%
- Vegetables: 2%
- Meat, poultry and fish: 1%
- Miscellaneous: 1%
- Breakfast eaters tend to have better nutrient intakes
- On average, breakfast contributes less than 20 percent of daily calories, while delivering more than 30 percent of needed calcium, iron and B vitamins
- People who eat breakfast tend to consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber over the course of their day
- Kids who eat breakfast tend to perform better in school and have fewer disciplinary problems. Breakfast also tends to help kids stay alert.
So what is your favorite breakfast cereal??