What better thing to do with bananas besides making smoothies? OK, there are lot’s, but we really like smoothies too.
This chocolate banana smoothie is a great way to start the day! 100% pure cocoa has many health benefits, (my father in law is convinced eating chocolate is restoring his sight) and you don’t need to pay a premium price for the pure stuff.
According to David Grotto’s new book 101 Foods that Can Save Your Life, Chocolate can:
- Give you healthier skin (increased hydration and decreased roughness and scaling)..this dispels a common myth.
- Flavonoids in cocoa beans can combat diarrhea (who wants kids with diarrhea?)
- Improves heart health by reducing LDL and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved insulin sensitivity (vital for diabetics)
- Theobromine (found in chocolate) was nearly a third more effective in stopping coughs compared to codeine!!!
- One antioxidant found in cocoa may be effective in supressing genes that trigger colon cancer cell growth.
- Verbal and visual memory were significantly higher in subjects who consumed milk chocolate!
Are you as surprised as I am? Clearly the antioxidants in cocoa are responsible for the benefits. With most of the chocolate we eat, there is a small amount of cocoa, and a large amount of milk, sugars, and fats. The dark chocolate bars that claim 70% cocoa are expensive too.
Solution: How many of you have a tub of baking cocoa in your cupboards? Mine is 100% cocoa! Use that in your next recipe or smoothie.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipe
- 8 ounces soy milk, milk, or coconut milk.
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 bananas (frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder.
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.