Chocolate Banana Smoothie
I had a few banana posts in waiting because we found these adorable Mini bananas at the grocery store! My kids were so excited to have them.. just because they are different.
What better thing to do with bananas besides making smoothies? OK, there are lot’s, but we really like smoothies too.
This chocolate banana smoothie is a great way to start the day! 100% pure cocoa has many health benefits, (my father in law is convinced eating chocolate is restoring his sight) and you don’t need to pay a premium price for the pure stuff.
According to David Grotto’s new book 101 Foods that Can Save Your Life, Chocolate can:
Are you as surprised as I am? Clearly the antioxidants in cocoa are responsible for the benefits. With most of the chocolate we eat, there is a small amount of cocoa, and a large amount of milk, sugars, and fats. The dark chocolate bars that claim 70% cocoa are expensive too.
Solution: How many of you have a tub of baking cocoa in your cupboards? Mine is 100% cocoa! Use that in your next recipe or smoothie.
- Give you healthier skin (increased hydration and decreased roughness and scaling)..this dispels a common myth.
- Flavonoids in cocoa beans can combat diarrhea (who wants kids with diarrhea?)
- Improves heart health by reducing LDL and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved insulin sensitivity (vital for diabetics)
- Theobromine (found in chocolate) was nearly a third more effective in stopping coughs compared to codeine!!!
- One antioxidant found in cocoa may be effective in supressing genes that trigger colon cancer cell growth.
- Verbal and visual memory were significantly higher in subjects who consumed milk chocolate!
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipe
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- 8 ounces soy milk, milk, or coconut milk.
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 bananas (frozen)
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder.