Looking for ways to include more fruits and vegetables at every meal? Check out our meal plans for help today!
MyPlate Meal Ideas
Check out our meal ideas for making half your meal fruits and vegetables!
|Choose My Plate 4 Section Plate|
Feeding our kids healthy food doesn't need to be complicated. A few simple rules, summarized from the most recent dietary guidelines is a fast and easy pattern to follow. A question I'm frequently asked is, "what are the dietary guidelines when it comes to children?" The latest 2010 dietary guidelines include:
- Balancing Calories: Eat less and avoid over sized portions
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables! (2-3 cups per day combined)
- Switch to low-fat or fat-free dairy. (2- 2 1/2 cups per day)
- Reduce high sodium foods.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
In addition to having half of a child's plate comprised of fruits and vegetables, kids also need:
- 1/4 of their plate for proteins (about 3 ounces per day or approx. 15 grams of protein per day, depending on weight.
- 1/4 of their plate for grains (3 ounces per day and make sure half your grains are whole grains)
New! We are creating a Pinterest board to share myplate meal ideas! Follow us and send us your photos and links to add: Need more meal ideas? Check out our meal planning site! Family friendly, healthy meals all planned for you by a registered dietitian!