MyPlate Meal Ideas
Check out our meal ideas for making half your meal fruits and vegetables!
|Choose My Plate 4 Section Plate|
Feeding our kids healthy food doesn't need to be complicated. A few simple rules, summarized from the most recent dietary guidelines is a fast and easy pattern to follow. A question I'm frequently asked is, "what are the dietary guidelines when it comes to children?" The latest 2010 dietary guidelines include:
- Balancing Calories: Eat less and avoid over sized portions
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables! (2-3 cups per day combined)
- Switch to low-fat or fat-free dairy. (2- 2 1/2 cups per day)
- Reduce high sodium foods.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
In addition to having half of a child's plate comprised of fruits and vegetables, kids also need:
- 1/4 of their plate for proteins (about 3 ounces per day or approx. 15 grams of protein per day, depending on weight.
- 1/4 of their plate for grains (3 ounces per day and make sure half your grains are whole grains)
New! We are creating a Pinterest board to share myplate meal ideas! Follow us and send us your photos and links to add: Need more meal ideas? Check out our meal planning site! Family friendly, healthy meals all planned for you by a registered dietitian!