How can I do a blog about healthy eating without discussing the most popular healthy eating idea around? It’s an American classic! It’s as tasty as ice cream, yet as healthy as a fruit salad. People have written entire books about them! It’s SMOOTHIES of course. Just note, I do not follow recipes very often, so I can not give measurements. But this is how our family does smoothies;
- A little juice, any flavor, usually orange juice.
- Some yogurt (I put in plain, since everything else is sweet enough)
- Frozen fruit (Usually we add strawberries or raspberries)
Some extra’s I will add (when I have my back to them and they can’t see I’m adding stuff)
- “Emergen-C” (a flavor packet of Vitamin c)
- soy powder (for a kick of protein)
- Flax meal, flax oil, or flax seeds (for some healthy fat)
- A capsule of probiotics (if they are sick)
There are a million things you could add to smoothies. I blend it smooth enough they can drink it from a straw. Everyone loves this “treat”. But it is so good for them too. I would do it every morning if my dang blender wasn’t so loud. I hate to wake up ketchup boy if he’s still sleeping while the other two get ready for school. I would never forgive myself… a 4 year old awake before his time is an absolute train wreck.
What kind of smoothies do your kids like?