Every year I say to myself ‘You must write down to grow LESS zucchini for next year’. And somehow the next spring I always bypass that note to myself and grow the exact same amount: too much! This year I was determined to not let it go to waste. We came up with our 3 favorite ways to use up our zucchini:
#1: Shred and Freeze
I like this way because it is super fast and then you can use it in lots of ways later:
Wash your zucchini thoroughly. I always leave the peels on – they are usually really thin and provide more nutrition that way.
Shred using a grater or food processor.
Place in a freezer bag and label. I almost always freeze in 2 cup portions because that is what is commonly used in recipes.
#2 Zucchini Chips
Begin by slicing your zucchini into thin slices using a fruit and veggie knife.
Place them in a bag with herbs and spices. I chose black pepper, garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Shake to coat all of the pieces.
Place on a baking sheet (or dehydrator rack) and dry until thin and crispy. If you do it in your oven, turn the heat to 170 degrees. It may take 10 hours to dry. In my dehydrator it took about 6 hours.
Place them in a bowl for a crunchy savory snack.
#3: Crunchy Baked Zucchini Sticks
First cut the ends of the zucchini, then slice in half. Cut into sticks – about 1/2 inch thick.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
- 1/2 cup Panko
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Mix the bread crumbs, panko, parmigiano reggiano and oregano in a bowl.
- Season the zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Dip the zucchini in the egg and then dredge in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place the zucchini on a baking sheet with a cooling rack on top in a single layer with the skin side down.
- Bake in a preheated 425F oven until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
Dunk in your favorite marinara sauce
Yum! These sticks went like hotcakes…….
Next time you go out to your garden and feel like you are being overtaken by zucchini – now you have 3 recipes to combat them with!